In Memory of
U.S. Army Corporal Newell, South Dakota
Meade County

September 4, 1921 – February 13, 1951
Killed in Action in Korea

John Carl Yuill, Jr. was born in Lead, South Dakota, on September 4, 1921. He was the son of Lydia (Johnson) and John C. Yuill. He was one of four children in his family who moved to Newell while John a young boy. He had one sister, Leora, and two brothers, Eugene and Loren. Yuill grew up and went to school in Newell where he participated in all types of sports and was considered a star athlete. He graduated from Newell High School in 1941.

He entered active service to the Army on July 15, 1942, during WW II. He went to Fort Crook in Nebraska for his basic training. He then went to Fort Francis E. Warren in Cheyenne, Wyoming, for more training before going overseas to the Pacific theater as part of the 331st Ordinance, serving in New Guinea, Luzon, and in Australia. Yuill returned to the United States and to South Dakota, even though he stayed in the Enlisted Reserves until 1948. After he went to Auto Mechanics School in Kansas City, he returned to Sturgis, where he worked as a farmer and mechanic in Sturgis and married Beth Clink on May 31, 1946. The couple had two children, John Carl III and Donna Marie.

Corporal John C. Yuill reenlisted on May 19, 1950, at Fort Riley, Kansas. He was sent to Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, transferred from Ordinance to Infantry, and sent overseas by plane on October 21, 1950, arriving in Japan at the replacement training center, and then ordered into combat just a few days later as part of Company F, 2nd Battalion, 7th Calvary Regiment, and the 1st Calvary Division and was on the front lines almost continually “until he embarked from the Hangman beachhead on Christmas Eve [1950]. His company was among the last to be evacuated from that area.” From there, he and others from 1st Calvary Division sailed to Pusan in southern Korea; Sgt. Yuill was then sent on to Taegu to regroup with his regiment and return to the front lines. With the exception of a short period of rest in early February of 1951, Sergeant Yuill was in combat from the time he arrived in Korea until his death.

Corporal John Carl Yuill, Jr. was killed in action while fighting the enemy on February 13, 1951. His body was later returned to the United States and he was buried with military honors at Black Hills National Cemetery near Sturgis.

Yuill was awarded the Purple Heart, the Combat Infantryman's Badge, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal and the Korean War Service Medal.

He is survived by his wife, Beth, and his two children, John C. III and Donna.

This entry was respectfully submitted by Missa Oien and Katherine Oldenkamp, 8th grade, Spearfish Middle School, Spearfish, South Dakota on May 24, 2004. Information was provided by Beth Yuill, widow, an application for a South Dakota Veteran’s bonus, the Sturgis Tribune, 3/8/51 and 3/15/51 issues, the American Battle Monuments Commission, and memorial stone photo by Mrs. Hansen. Profile approval by Beth Yuill.